Sunday, June 21, 2009

Garmin Training Center and EDGE 705

GPS is pretty cool for cycling. It tells you the grades of your usual climbs, all the information about your ride (speed, cadence, where have you been) and allows you to collect this information in a organized fashion and compare rides.

Garmin EDGE 705 has a barometer inside, so it should get altitude information from it and from satellites (minimum of 3) and check that. I don't know what happens, but every time I go out for a ride I leave home in a "different altitude". So its the only instrument which you go for a round trip and come back to the same place, but some floors higher or lower than you left hehehehehehe You can see that in the figure below :-)) Usually the altitude of arrival is the same, so I assume it's the right one :-)))


Hint for Garmin users.

Garmin Training center, is up to now a nice tool to use. The info is that it doesn't work properly in other languages than English (at least not in portuguese - I tried).

It gives no information about cadence, so you have to install the version in english, what is not trivial since the installer finds out your computer's language and do it automatically.

I wrote Garmin about it and they gave me the information below, which I couldn't find in their website before (they promised me they would put it there now, but I didn't check).

Follows their e-mail:

This is a known issue with non-English language versions of Training
Center. This is currently being worked on by our software engineers, and
I apologise for any inconvenience caused, but in the mean time you can
run the software in English to solve this problem. To do this, please
follow the instructions below:

Please locate the following file:

C:\Garmin\TrainingCenterPTB.dll (you can find this via My Computer)

Click on this file and press Delete on the keyboard. When you next run
Training Center it should run in English and may work correctly. As I
mentioned, we are looking for a more permanent solution to this and will
let you know as soon as we have one.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger Fábio "Sbó" Ardito said...

aaaaa the problems with altitude measurement... I see this in 2 ways:
1-) barometric data isn't accurate, it depends on dynamic conditions
2-) GPS data for altitude isn't so accurate either... you have resolution for squares of about 90 x 90 m² and the vertical resolution can be as poor as that.
And I belive that the software do some kind of "interpolation" of these two data sources and then comes the error.
And I really hope that my english is better than Joel Santana's... ahahahahahah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home